Pages

Wednesday 3 February 2010

Getting older

It's finally here. Today is the day that I can no longer hang on by my fingernails to the illusion of being in my early 30's, but am firmly ensconced in the realms of a middle thirty-something.
Yet I don't really feel any older or more grown-up than I did when I was in my early twenties. Despite all the trappings of adult-hood (husband, kids, mortgage), I'm mentally still somewhere around 23. Which means it can prove to be a bit of a shock every now and then when I look in the mirror and see the ever increasing number of grey hairs on my head and the very faint laughter/frown lines on my forehead. Not that there's anything wrong with feeling young, and I certainly don't want to feel old, but I would be grateful to start developing some of the wisdom and sense that's supposed to come with age.

Time for me to go and eat doughnuts with #3 and then have a go with Tiberian Sun that my SiL sent. Later I shall play Zelda on my other birthday present (the DSi) and eat chocolate.

See? I've got this grown-up thing down to a fine art.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, happy birthday honey!

    I've found aging a very weird experience. As a child I always assumed you reached an age where you felt like an adult. Maybe I'm just a late developer?!

    I hope you have a wonderful day. Hurrah for doughnuts, games and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou :)

    I always assumed the same thing, but it hasn't happened to me yet either. Maybe it comes when you stop wearing jeans and start wearing beige polyester trousers instead? ;)

    ReplyDelete