Pages

Tuesday 23 February 2010

Braid (in which I pretend to write a review)

Not very well today with something that may or may not be Vinterkräksjuka so am cheating a little and using the sort-of review I wrote on Braid because of Spriteclub.
I'm doing so rather reluctantly, as so many of the #oneadayers are proper games reviewers and this bears no resemblance to something they would probably write. Anyway, here goes (with fingers crossed none of them read it).

For anyone who has never come across it, I would describe Braid as a kind of puzzle platformer where time goes both forwards and backwards.
I can sum it up in two words:

Original
Frustrating

The frustration does of course mean that it is incredibly rewarding when you finally work out how to do a level, but I'm not entirely convinced that the payoff is always worth the frequent temptation to throw the computer out of the window. I don't really understand the relevance of the story but then I never did get to the end so maybe it makes more sense the further you get through.

The whole being able to rewind if you get killed is a great concept, and the fluidity of time and motion varying with each level stops it from getting repetitive. I like the style and artwork but can't comment on the music as I only ever played it with the sound off. It's a good enough game that having played the first few levels on the demo I was really keen to buy the full version. Maybe I'll eventually complete it, some time around 2015.

Struggled for a while trying to decide what score to give. In so many ways it should be a 9, but in the end the aggravation with certain levels was just too much - it almost took it down to a 7, but the fact that you don't have to complete every single level in a world before unlocking the next one rescued it up to a final well-deserved 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment