Pages

Monday 8 February 2010

Analysing the #oneaday bloggers

No, not that kind of analysis - although I'm sure there's plenty there for a shrink to get their teeth into. Around about the time that Mass Effect 2 came out, I noticed that a lot of the #oneaday blogs I read regularly contained a lot of posts that were games-related, which made me wonder just what kind of subjects were the most popular. So, being a sucker for anything that I can put in a spreadsheet (sad, I know) I decided to go through them all and see.

It was one of those things that seems like a really good idea at the time, and then when you get half way through you realise that you were obviously not quite in your right mind when you thought of it. And of course by then you've invested too much time and effort and have to carry on to the bitter end.

So today I went through everyone's blogs and put the posts into categories that were arbitrarily and vaguely defined by criteria that exist solely in my head, and here are the results:

No. of bloggers: 43
Total no. of posts (as of this morning): 1141
Gaming: 21%
Film/TV/music/books: 15%
Personal anecdotes and stories: 27%
Opinion/rants: 11%
#oneaday/blogging: 6%
Sport: 2%
Misc: 18%

There are also at least 25 desk-related posts included in one of those categories that I probably should have separated out into their very own, but didn't think about it until it was too late and then couldn't be bothered to go back and alter the numbers. I don't know what the results actually tell us about the people in the #oneaday network, but I feel better for knowing them.

It was actually quite enjoyable to read through a lot of what has been written - there are some incredibly talented people in the network. Some of the blogs made me laugh, some made me cry, they were informative, fascinating, and occasionally bewildering. I was also very impressed at the number of people who have lasted this far. I confess, I never expected to make it past a week or maybe two. But here I still am.

4 comments:

  1. Nicely done! Really interesting read. You'll have to psychoanalyse us next. :)

    Actually, you talking about some of the entries you've read so far, made me think I might do a list of my fave #oneadays so far for tomorrow's post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :)

    Funnily enough, you reminded me of a thought I had whilst I was doing it - there are way too many to be able to read them all on a daily basis, so a round-up of weekly favourites may provide a solution both to that, and to those tricky weekend posts that a lot of people (including me) struggle with writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what's the #oneaday thing? Or is it just posting a post a day?

    I say 'just', mind you. I'm terrible at it. :-}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, just one blog post a day, even if it's just a paragraph. I thought I was going to be terrible at it too, but have managed to get them all in so far!
    The official page is here: http://ultrabrilliant.co.uk/network/

    ReplyDelete