Pages

Thursday 21 January 2010

Semla cakes

This blog is not going to be all about Sweden, I promise (I have one of those already). I had a few thoughts for posts on here earlier today, but they were all wiped out of my mind when I was reminded by something else I was reading about Semla cakes, and the shocking fact that I haven't had one yet this year.
They are cardamom-spiced buns, with the top cut off so you can put an almond paste mixture inside and fill them with whipped cream.


Traditionally they were only eaten on Shrove Tuesday, but nowadays are available from the New Year through till Easter. We had some on our recce visit last February and they were lovely. Not that they had anything to do with our decision to move over of course - you can't believe that we would be so fickle as to be tempted over by the lure of delicious baked goodies, surely?
But I know where I'll be going this weekend...

(Image from here)

4 comments:

  1. Ooohhh they sound DELICIOUS! Have one for me, won't you?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean I'll have to eat more than one? It'll be tough, but I think I can manage it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When these are good, they're awesome. When they're not, they are nauseating... Remember quite clearly the occasions when I had both the awesome and the nauseating one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only had good ones so far, really hope I don't get any of the other kind!

    ReplyDelete