Pages

Wednesday 20 January 2010

Jag måste tala mer Svenska...

...I must speak more Swedish

I am such a coward.
Since we came to Sweden, I've been having language lessons - 20 hours so far - which have been enough that I can understand bits and pieces when I'm spoken to, and also get the gist of the letters that come home from school sometimes; but when it comes to actually speaking to someone, I go to pieces and cannot remember enough to even string a simple sentence together.
This morning was a prime example. I went across the road to post a letter, and all I had to say was Kan jag skicka detta till England? I was determined to do it, but when the moment arrived, I just kind of waved the letter and muttered something in English. Pathetic really, as I know my pronunciation isn't all that bad, and whilst I can't speak with a proper Swedish accent at the moment, at least I don't speak Swedish with an English accent (so my teacher says, and she seems to think it is a good thing).
It's mostly down to a lack of confidence, aided and abetted by the fact that most people here do understand English which provides an unfortunately convenient get-out clause. It would be all too easy to give up trying altogether, but I'm uncomfortable with making people use my language instead of their own all the time.
Conversation class starts next month, so perhaps that will give me the confidence in my own ability to speak when I'm out and about. I'm sort of dreading it, but hopefully the other company WAGs will be no better than me so I won't feel like a complete failure!
In the meantime, there's always the lady at the coffee shop up the road who is more than happy for me to practise on her, and of course the lovely cakes she sells are merely my reward for trying. Honest.

2 comments:

  1. I know how hard it is to get over the self consciousness of trying to speak another person's language, but for what it's worth, they're usually quite stupidly delighted if you do... dodgy pronounciation and all! Don't underestimate how well you're doing already either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, some of the people have been pleased to find that we're making the effort - especially the lady in the coffee shop where we tend to have our fika!

    ReplyDelete