Pages

Tuesday 26 January 2010

Candles



When we first arrived in Sweden, we were told by some friends who'd been here a couple of years, that once winter arrived we would need candles. Lots of candles. It is dark here (not as dark as the far north of course) but still, sunset is something silly like 2.40pm on the shortest day, with sunrise being around 8.40am. I have previously written a post elsewhere on the lack of sunshine, but what I didn't mention there is what a huge difference having those candles lit makes.
I've always had lots of decorative candles, but now I have an excuse to really indulge myself and our windowsill is lined with little nightlights in glass holders. When they're all lit it looks so pretty and brightens the place up more than you would imagine. I haven't quite reached the 37 I was originally told to get, but I'm working on it!

(Sorry it's short and dull and boring, but I'm tired and I want to go to bed. And no, whilst I would like those candles, they're not mine.)

2 comments:

  1. It's not dull at all! I absolutely adore candles. Don't know why I always forget to light them these days - when I was living alone I often lit candles instead of main lights.

    Really lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks! I was tired and struggling for inspiration, and they were the first things that caught my eye... you should light them more often (as should I), I find they're a real mood lifter.

    ReplyDelete