Pages

Saturday 23 January 2010

Football (yes, really)

I'm not exactly what you would call a football fan. I'll watch England playing in something like the World Cup or Euro whatever, but I'm not that bothered if I don't see it. But despite all that, I take a keen interest in the fortunes of Leeds United, having been indoctrinated in it by my dad for as long as I can remember.

I've only ever been to watch 2 football games in my entire life - the first was about 15 years ago, and was Huddersfield v. Blackpool with my then-boyfriend and his family. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, the atmosphere was great and it was really easy to get carried away and shout as much as the next person when a referee's decision didn't go our way.

The other game was Leeds v. MK Dons last December. My dad promised me as a small child that he'd take me to see Leeds play when they got into the first division (which was the top of the leagues at the time), and then when they won the first division and when they won the premiership after it came into being, but never did. So when we were living in Milton Keynes, he'd moved and Leeds had fallen so far down that they were in the same division, I had to bully him into finally fulfilling that promise. One of our neighbours was a huge Dons supporter, and arranged for us all to get seats in the season ticket holders stand. We had a great time, despite being the only ones in the entire section cheering for Leeds, and we were really impressed by the people around us who chatted with us throughout the match and managed to commiserate without being too smug when we lost and the Dons won.

But by far and away the best result of the past few years has got to be Leeds beating Man U at Old Trafford in the FA cup 3rd round at the beginning of this month. It thrilled my heart in a way that I would never have expected. Then this evening they held Spurs to a draw at White Hart Lane, giving them a replay that I can't wait for (and the day before my birthday too which has to be a good sign, right?). We won't get it on our tv here though unfortunately, but I may just have to check whether the sports bar in town will be showing it and see if I have the courage to brave it.

But like I said, I'm not a big football fan.

This post was brought to you courtesy of 4 glasses of wine. I can accept no responsibility for any injuries sustained whilst reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment