Pages

Friday 5 March 2010

Tom Tits Experiment

As this week has been half-term, we managed to get in a proper family day out to the Tom Tits Experiment. Shamefully it was the first time we'd been together despite the fact that it's only a 10 minute drive away. Basically, it's one of those hands-on science museums for kids which is nearly as much fun for adults.

We all had a great time, although I did struggle a little bit trying to find the words to explain Newton's 3rd law and Moments to an 8 year old and 5 year old so they could understand it. The 'body' exhibition meant dragging up GCSE Biology from the depths of my memory in which I had shoved it to explain which internal organ was which and where it went. I liked the pickled brain in a jar best, but they were more interested in the plastic models of foetal development and the actual birth process.... happily there were no awkward questions to catch us unawares.

This was by far and away my favourite thing that I saw though:



I asked the youngest at lunchtime what had been her favourite bit so far. Her answer, "The ice cream that we haven't had yet."

We managed to get round everything inside, but we'll be making another trip back in the summer as there's lots of outdoor stuff that obviously wasn't available today (being covered in 3 feet of snow still), including a hot air balloon!

No comments:

Post a Comment